I’ve created a list of dating tips following any breakup, separation or divorce. Stuff I learned the hard way. You probably won’t listen if you’re a stubborn ass hot mess like I was, but I’ll list it anyway.
11 Dating Tips Following Separation:
- Go On The Date: I heard somewhere that you should wait 2 years to start dating again after divorce. I say that’s crap. Get dressed up. Do your make-up. Flirt. Feel beautiful and desirable. Those are things most of us missed while we were married. It’s OK to feel like a woman again.
- …..But not at the expense of your people: Don’t get so consumed that you cancel on friends or family. That giddy, high school girl feeling. Fuck that. Your people are going to be the ones to get you through this mess. They deserve some of your focused time, love and attention too.
- Go slow: When you’re used to having a partner everyday it’s easy to fall into that trap. But there’s no need! It’s perfectly OK to see someone you’re dating once a week or during mutual free time. Eventually it may grow into something deeper and meaningful, but let it get that way naturally.
- Beware of the dick pics: Seriously, it’s not flattering. Just block and move on.
- Don’t Take it so Seriously: Not every guy you go on a date with is “The One”. Sometimes they can end up to be friends, or good for networking.
- Don’t be offended when they don’t call or text: If they don’t call or text it most likely isn’t about you. It’s their own bullshit they’re working through.
- Explore your sexuality: If you’re anything like me, you had no idea what you were missing out on until you got back out there! Sex is fun. Seriously. Solo or in a pair. Not just in the bed, but everywhere!
- Don’t forget to be safe: Remember those sex ed classes in high school? I know, I know, it was so long ago. But seriously, wrap it up, mmmK?
- Meet the kids: Just don’t. Not while you’re figuring it all out. Wait until it’s appropriate, which will be different for everyone.
- Don’t ignore the red flags: Whatever they are, whatever your gut is telling you, listen. And follow through.
- HAVE FUN: Seriously. Just do it.
I’m sure I could add a dozen more, but these are what came to mind personally while sitting here.
Let me know if you have any to add!
One Flawsome Momma